Make a difference with Life Sciences Ontario (LSO) www.lifesciencesontario.ca
Who we are and What we do
Life Sciences Ontario is a member-driven organization that represents and promotes the province’s vibrant and diverse life sciences sector. LSO collaborates with governments, academia, industry, and other life science organizations in Ontario and across Canada to promote and encourage commercial success throughout the sector. Membership in Life Sciences Ontario includes individuals, students, emerging companies, investors, service providers, and companies with marketed products. The organization provides a wide range of networking and educational events, and operates a mentorship program that is helping to develop highly-skilled talent and build new business opportunities for the life sciences sector. We also support the next generation of life science leaders through our scholarship and mentorship program. LSO is an effective conduit for delivering policy options to governments, and is committed to practicing and promoting the principles and best practices of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility (IDEA). We have made it a strategic priority to incorporate IDEA into everything we do, from our internal processes and events, to our external commitments (Black North, 50/30 Challenge) and including creating the “Building an Inclusive Life Sciences Future” workshop series highlighted by Osler.
We thrive on the challenge to bring our best, progressive thinking to keep our association growing, and to deliver excellent events helping the life sciences ecosystem (community) to thrive and prosper. We are passionate about the quality of our work, the people and organizations with which we partner, the outcomes that we achieve and the opportunity to shape the future. Our culture is fast-paced, challenging and rewarding including opportunities to grow skills as we embark on new projects. We value new ideas and different perspectives to help our organization grow.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for an individual with a varied set of skills to join our small team of dedicated individuals. As the Marketing and Communications Coordinator, you will be a key part of our team keeping the day to day communication flowing while assisting with the planning and coordination of the monthly and annual LSO events. You are a highly organized, detail-oriented self-starter who can work independently with little direction and brings excellent communication, interpersonal collaboration, new creative ideas and perspectives, and project & time management skills to the role.
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator will report to the Director, Operations & Events, and work closely with the internal team and events committees including volunteer chair/leads and Board members.
As a member of the team, you will co-ordinate logistics related to the activities of the team as well as supporting the logistics for the diverse, inclusive, and accessible events delivered by LSO. You will process and respond to incoming inquiries, support the efficient and accurate sharing of information across LSO and help to streamline and strengthen internal processes.
The skills of the individual we are seeking would include: an exceptional team player; well-developed interpersonal skills and written communication; relationship management and diplomacy skills to engage at all levels internally and externally, as well as externally with various stakeholders and service providers in an inclusive and accessible manner.
Communication and Marketing Responsibilities
- Updating and maintaining the website including creating and managing social media content
- Developing eblasts, flyers, brochures, program materials for event promotion while adhering to IDEA best practices.
- Curating and developing weekly newsletter
- Promoting LSO documents and reports & member announcements
- Supporting the Business Development Director on creating member engagement opportunities
- Building relationships with our community partners including diverse groups to support and strengthen IDEA
- Developing publications that promote the diverse life science sector like our Success stories
- Developing and managing the online scholarship awards portal
- Producing and distributing committee notes in a timely manner
- Supporting the planning and execution of events in conjunction with the Events Director, and the volunteer committees ensuring LSO’s IDEA goals and values are prioritized.
- Managing registration processes and member relationships
- Maintaining and updating the database, including tracking tools, and new contacts
- Maintaining and filing of source documents including meeting notes and supplier contracts
- Supporting the tracking of requirement and relaying to service providers around catering, audio visual and speaker
- Communicating with event attendees to collect required information
General Admin Responsibilities
- Supporting the integration of communication and maintenance of shared calendars of the team including arranging of meetings
- Supporting the logistics for streamlining and strengthening internal processes and procedures, and office suppliers
- Working with the team, ensure accuracy of member data and financial information related to membership and events
- Through stakeholder interactions, assist with bringing new members or sponsors on board
- Additional support to CEO, and team, as required with new projects and research
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a team/office environment
- Completed post-secondary education in a related field
- Experience in a web content management system (WordPress preferred)
- Demonstrated experience with social media platforms and digital communications in a professional setting
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills; excellent proofreading and editing skills
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple competing demands and priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook and Publisher) and Adobe and with event /communication software
- Event coordination experience is an asset, including coordination of speakers, sponsors, registrants and suppliers and onsite logistics such as registration
- Proficient in English, other languages are an asset
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Flexibility – ability to partially work from home but will be required to be in the office or at events as needed
- Benefits package including dental, health and mental health resources
- Open and inclusive culture that encourages sharing ideas
- Opportunities to take on leadership role
- Opportunities to interact with senior leaders in life sciences
Salary: $40,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume and covering letter, no later than 11:59pm on October 28th, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org . Ideal start time would be end of November.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
LSO is committed to building and fostering a workplace that is reflective of our communities, where all members feel included, valued, and heard. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but acknowledge the systemic and structural barriers that have, historically, marginalized and barred certain groups from accessing employment opportunities. As part of our commitment to removing barriers to employment, we strongly encourage applications from members of these historically marginalized groups including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized individuals, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. Accommodations are available, upon request, in all aspects of the recruitment process.