Applications for 2019 have closed.
Life Sciences Ontario Scholarship Program
Stay tuned for details on the 2020 scholarship program
The Life Sciences Ontario Scholarship will award post-secondary students (University/College) currently enrolled in a 2nd or 3rd year degree program at an accredited post-secondary institution in Ontario. Scholarship winners will also be paired with a mentor in the life sciences sector.
The scholarship program aims to increase awareness of the life sciences sector in Ontario as a significant employer for new graduates, a significant driver of the local economy, an integrated local stakeholder, engaged with and supportive of the local community; and an existing, innovative and promising industry.
How to Apply: CLOSED
Complete the application:
Applicants must submit a 250-500 word essay outlining: What are your aspirations once you graduate?
Applicants must submit a list of extra-curricular or volunteer experience related to the Life Sciences Sector.
Deadline to Apply: May 17th, 2019
- Must have a permanent address in Ontario, Canada.
- Must be currently enrolled in their first or second year of full-time studies in a bachelor degree program.
- Applicants already enrolled in the 1st year of their bachelor degree studies must have a minimum cumulative average 75% (or equivalent) over the last 3 terms of available marks
- Note: Applied Bachelors, CEGEP diploma, a certificate or multiple degrees are eligible to apply
Those chosen for the scholarship will participate in “One-on-One Mentoring” with an experienced professional within their field of study in the life sciences sector
Once chosen recipients of the scholarship can expect to:
- Tour of the office
- Introductions to colleagues
- An orientation of what the company does
- Mentor’s role / Q&A
- Opportunity for job shadowing
2019 Life Sciences Ontario Scholarship Winners
Overall LSO awarded 20 students with $4,000 towards their academic careers. We had over 200 applicants from across Ontario including University Of Toronto-Mississauga, Western University, McMaster University, University of Waterloo, York University, St. George Campus – University Of Toronto.
Thank you to our sponsoring companies.
LSO, in collaboration with AstraZeneca, Bayer, GlaxoSmithKline, Gilead, Horizon Therapeutics Canada, Novo Nordisk, Roche and Sanofi Canada have established a scholarship and mentorship program, the first of its kind, designed specifically for Mississauga students. The Life Sciences Ontario Scholarship program is available for students with a permanent address in Mississauga, Ontario and who are currently enrolled in 1st and 2nd year undergraduate program in an Ontario institution.
“Gilead Sciences Canada, Inc. is proud to partner with LSO in supporting post-secondary education for students through the LSO Scholarship Program. This initiative not only expands the potential for learning about opportunities in life sciences, but also provides evidence-based guidance for young students as they map their future career path.”
“Novo Nordisk Canada Inc. is a proud partner of the Life Sciences Ontario Scholarship Program through our funding and mentoring contributions. This scholarship and mentorship program supports the thriving life sciences sector in Mississauga, and I am excited to see it expand beyond our city’s borders. Ontario is home to some of the world’s brightest and most passionate students, and programs such as this help nurture and grow that talent. In addition to financial assistance, this program helps Ontario post-secondary students gain valuable connections in the life sciences sector within our province, supporting them to find meaningful employment right here in Ontario at the conclusion of their studies.”
- Béatrice Clerc, President, Novo Nordisk Canada Inc.
“At Roche Canada, we are proud to support the first Life Sciences Ontario Scholarship and Mentorship program. The future of the life sciences industry is very promising as remarkable discoveries are being made at a greater pace than ever before. As an industry, one of our most significant challenges is developing local talent today for what the future will require. The Life Science Ontario Scholarship and Mentorship program is unique in offering both financial assistance, as well as one-to-one mentorship opportunities with young industry professionals to provide guidance as they discover and engage with what this exciting industry has to offer.”
- Ronnie Miller, President & C.E.O., Hoffmann-La Roche Canada
Become an LSO Student Member
Why Should I Join? Benefits of LSO Membership
- Expand your network and share best practices. LSO offers a robust suite of life sciences events, including our popular networking nights and breakfast meetings, attended by members from across our sector.
- Stay on top of what’s happening. LSO members receive exclusive access to our weekly newsletter, with a must-read summary of industry news and events.
- Benefit from member-exclusive or member-discounted events, such as our Policy Forum, Queen’s Park Day, and Annual Awards Gala.
- Access exclusive member discounts, including: Preferred rate for SR&ED tax credits and other grant services; discounts on lab supplies and equipment, and savings on flights with Porter airlines.
- Connect to the next generation of life sciences talent through innovative programs such as LSO’s Ten Thousand Coffees mentorship hub.