Life Sciences Ontario Scholarship Program
Mississauga is home to a diverse life sciences ecosystem, with over 430 companies, 66 life sciences corporate head office locations, and over 22,000 people employed by the sector. Life Sciences Ontario (LSO) is a not-for-profit organization that promotes the life sciences sector through a variety of activities such as networking and education events, a vibrant mentorship program, and by advocating for specific public policy actions to enable research, talent development, capital investment and commercial success.
LSO, in collaboration with AstraZeneca, Bayer, GlaxoSmithKline, Gilead, Horizon Pharma, Novo Nordisk, Roche and Sanofi Canada have established a scholarship and mentorship program, the first of its kind, designed specifically for Mississauga students. The Life Sciences Ontario Scholarship program is available for students with a permanent address in Mississauga, Ontario and who are currently enrolled in 1st and 2nd year undergraduate program in an Ontario institution. Preference will be given to students studying in fields that are linked to the employment footprint of the life sciences sector.
The scholarship program aims to increase awareness of the life sciences sector in Mississauga as a significant employer for new graduates, a significant driver of the local economy, an integrated local stakeholder, engaged with and supportive of the local community; and an existing, innovative and promising industry.
How to Apply: https://portal.scholarshippartners.ca/welcome/lso
Complete the application:
Applicants must submit a 250-500 word essay outlining: What are your aspirations once you graduate?
Applicants must submit a list of extra-curricular or volunteer experience related to the Life Sciences Sector.
Deadline to Apply: May 17th, 2019
- Must have a permanent address in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
- Must be currently enrolled in their first or second year of full-time studies in a bachelor degree program.
- Applicants already enrolled in the 1st year of their bachelor degree studies must have a minimum cumulative average 75% (or equivalent) over the last 3 terms of available marks
- Note: Applied Bachelors, CEGEP diploma, a certificate or multiple degrees are eligible to apply
Those chosen for the scholarship will participate in “One-on-One Mentoring” with an experienced professional within their field of study in the life sciences sector
Once chosen recipients of the scholarship can expect to:
- Tour of the office
- Introductions to colleagues
- An orientation of what the company does
- Mentor’s role / Q&A
- Opportunity for job shadowing
Become an LSO Student Member
Why Should I Join? Benefits of LSO Membership
- Expand your network and share best practices. LSO offers a robust suite of life sciences events, including our popular networking nights and breakfast meetings, attended by members from across our sector.
- Stay on top of what’s happening. LSO members receive exclusive access to our weekly newsletter, with a must-read summary of industry news and events.
- Benefit from member-exclusive or member-discounted events, such as our Policy Forum, Queen’s Park Day, and Annual Awards Gala.
- Access exclusive member discounts, including: Preferred rate for SR&ED tax credits and other grant services; discounts on lab supplies and equipment, and savings on flights with Porter airlines.
- Connect to the next generation of life sciences talent through innovative programs such as LSO’s Ten Thousand Coffees mentorship hub.